Technology has affected all and every single aspect of modern society. There is no industry that has not been affected by the revolution of modern technology. Banking, transportation, security, communication and even healthcare are affected by the revolution of technology.
This enormous impact is very obvious in the field of medicine and healthcare. Medical technology has revolutionised the way health services are delivered. In fact it has changed the structure and organization of the entire field of medicine.
Today, there is a widespread adoption of electronic medical records, advancement in bio-medical engineering and technology. Delivery methods are always increasing significantly. But what is the impact of advance technology in healthcare delivery as a whole?
The Advantages of Technology Advancement in Healthcare
Medical technology is becoming indispensable to the health of people. It has improved the quality of life. It has brought billions of dollars to the economy. There are numerous benefits that advance medical technology can offer to healthcare.
- The adoption of health records has produced significant savings in the cost of healthcare.
- Patient files are kept in databases so that they could be accessed from any part of a healthcare facility.
- It has improved the health and safety of patients.
- It provides better data coordination and management.
- It has opened doors to more non-invasive procedures.
- Diagnostics are made easily and more accurately especially with the invention of nuclear medicine.
- Physicians and technicians can now examine the anatomy of a patient without applying invasive procedures to form a diagnosis.
- Advance imaging technology has created a great demand for radiologists and MRI technologists.
The internet allows infinite stream of knowledge available online and people may acquire the tendency to rely on this available knowledge rather than go to their doctors. This is risky and dangerous because application of this knowledge may not be properly done and may cause more harm than good. There are some medical knowledge posted by people who have no medical training or no sufficient knowledge of medicine at all.
Because of what they read online, some people may make self-diagnosis that may be detrimental to their health. It is possible that people will make wrong self-diagnosis and treat themselves improperly. What they read online must never replace physicians for they are well trained and have spent many years studying medicine. They are the best authority where medicine and healthcare is concerned.