Medical technology is defined as the diagnostic or therapeutic application of science and technology for the improvement of the management of health conditions. It covers all methods of identifying the nature of health conditions so that appropriate intervention can be made using devices, biological, pharmacological or other means to improve the quality of life and increase life span.
Medical Technology plays a crucial role in healthcare. The merger of technology in the medical field has saved so many lives across the whole world. Medical technology has impacted the entire medical field.
Some Areas of Medical Field Impacted by Technology
- Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians – They assist physicians in diagnosing and treatment of heart and blood vessel ailments. They perform ultrasound or cardiovascular procedures, reviews the interpretation of doctors and monitors heart rates of patients. They operate testing equipment, explain test procedures and compare findings to a standard so that problems could be identified. They may specialize in invasive cardiology, echocardiography or vascular technology.
- Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians – Clinical laboratory testing has an important role in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Clinical laboratory technologists and technicians perform most of these tests. They examine and analyse chemical content in body fluids, match blood for transfusions and test drug levels in the blood that will indicate how the patient is responding to the treatment. They use automated equipment and computerized instruments that are capable of performing multiple tests simultaneously.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer – Sonography is associated with the use of ultrasound imaging during pregnancy. It is also applied in the diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions throughout the human body. They use special equipment to direct nonionizing, high frequency sound waves into the different areas of the patient’s body. They operate the equipment to collect reflected echoes and forms an image that can be videotaped, transmitted or photographed so that the physician can interpret and make a diagnosis.
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians – They assemble health information of patients including medical history, symptoms, examination results, diagnostic tests, treatment methods and all other healthcare provider services. They use electronic health records and make them accessible to healthcare servers.
- Radiation Therapists – Radiation therapy is used to treat cancer patients. They are part of the medical radiation oncology team. They use a machine called linear accelerators to administer treatment to patients.
There are more area is in the medical field that are impacted by medical technology.